The Spencer Township Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1936. The original fire station was a two bay building but not much is known about the first equipment.
In the late 1960's a 1953 pumper was purchased.
In 1973, the township purchased a brand new Ford Fire Truck.
In 1979, a remodle to the station was completed and an additional two bays were added.
In 1983, under the stress of a pending lawsuit and decreased funding, the doors to the station were locked and fire protection was contracted with Springfield Township.
In 1986 the department reopened.
1994 saw the purchase of a brand new Freightliner 1250 GPM Engine which is in service today as Engine 56.
In 1997, another construction project added a meeting room, offices for staff, dispatch room and upgrades to the septic system.
In 2008, Spencer Fire/Rescue began service as an Advanced Life Support transporting agency.
In 2009, city water from the City of Toledo was brought to the area and the purchase of a new 2009 Ford E450 McCoy Miller Ambulance was approved.
In 2012, through the use of an AFG award, Engine 57 was purchased from the Sutphen Corporation. The new apparatus is a 2012 Sutphen with a 1500 GPM pump and prepiped foam system.
On January 1st, 2014 the Spencer Township Fire and Rescue Department began service as a fully staffed fire station. There are currently 2 personnel staffed 24 hours per day, 7 days per week with at least one personnel licensed at the Advanced level.
In August of 2014 another AFG award was approved and the purchase and build of Brush 56 began. This new apparatus is a 2015 Chevy Silverado with 300 gallons of water, 23 horsepower pump, and 10 gallon foam cell.